Welcome guest, please Login or Register

What are Mutashabihat Ayas, Resembling or Allegoric? 

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-02-07

PM

https://topicsfromquran.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/mutashabehat-the-similar-ayats/

My question is regarding Ayat no. 7 of Sura Ale-Imran.

Wanted to know the translation of this expression in this Ayat, (strictly translation only and not any interpretation):
“مَا تَشَابَهَ مِنْهُ”. Should it not mean ” What resembles with it”. ‘Minhu , مِنْهُ, here referring to Mutashabihat Ayats of Al-Quran.

It seems to me, translation of below statement should be like:
فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمْ زَيْغٌ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشَابَهَ مِنْهُ ابْتِغَاءَ الْفِتْنَةِ وَابْتِغَاءَ تَأْوِيلِهِ

Translation 1: Thus in whose heart, is a deviation, they follow what resembles with it (i.e Mutashbihat Ayats of Al-Quran)

While most translations I see, have translated this statement as below:

Translation 2: “Thus in whose heart, is a deviation, they follow the Mutashbihat (Ayats of Quran).

However, if we consider the 2nd one as correct then according to 39:23, Mutashabihat are also Ahsan Al -Hadees and believers skin and hearts soften towards remembrance of Allah with the help of them.

Another point is that if we consider 2nd one is correct then تَشَابَهَ should be a noun, and if we consider the first alternative mentioned above it seems like a verb.

Will appreciate clarification on this one, which of the above translations 1 or 2 is correct?

Thanks