Welcome guest, please Login or Register

How to approach the Quran - important

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-10-13

PM

As salamu aleykum

Those with a minimum of knowledge on how to read the Quran will know that it is very important to understand the context of the different ayah in order to grasp the full meaning. The context is most of the time referring to incidents that took place during the time of the Prophet, and we also see that many times the Quran is addressing specific people during that time.

When I discuss this topic with friends they say, if this is the case, how can we say that the Quran is meant to be a universal book meant for all times and ages? If it adresses so many incidents limited by time and space, isn’t that equal to saying that the message of Quran is also limited by time and space?

Please clarify this point, how to better understand this issue.

Thank you.

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

As-Salaam alaikum,
I wish to comment on the above topic and observe/say that the Holy Qur’an is certainly NOT limited by time and space. It is a Book sent by Allah Ta’ala as His Final revelation to mankind until the Last Day of Judgement, and its Commands, Prohibitions are for all times… from the time it was revealed to Prophet Muhammad, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, to the last minute on the planet earth.

The Qur’an… is the LAST Divine Scripture for all mankind, for all peoples and all times. Its Laws are of universal and permanent character and they admit of no change or amendment, just as Allah, the Glorious Creator of the Cosmos says:—

“THIS DAY HAVE I PERFECTED FOR YOU YOUR RELIGION AND COMPLETED MY
  FAVOUR ON YOU, AND CHOSEN FOR YOU ISLAM AS RELIGION.” (5:4)

Qur’anic verses or ayat(s) are for all times… not just applicable to the times of the Sahaba and the Messenger of Allah, alaihis-Salaat Was-Salaam. A notable Sheikh, Sahl al-Tustari (d. 896), may Allah be Merciful to him, said:—

“Even if man received a thousand degrees of understanding for each Letter of the
  Qur’an, this would not exhaust all the meanings which are contained in just one
  verse.”

The word of Allah, he explains, is the image of Allah Himself: infinite and Uncreated; therefore, how could it be comprehended fully by man, who is an ephemeral creature? As we have read it in chapter 3 of the Holy Qur’an:

“NO ONE OTHER THAN ALLAH KNOWS ITS (the Qur’an) INTERPRETATION.” (3:7)

We must understand that the Holy Qur’an speaks of Almighty Allah’s Glory and Might, which are UNLIMITED. Therefore, the explanations of the Qur’an are unlimited.

Best Regards.