Total Posts: 114

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

What is spirituality(roohaniyat)?

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-13

PM

Spirituality is Taqwa. Being mindful of the creator and his signs. Being mindful of the transitory nature of this life and that soon there is going to be the commencement of an unlimited afterlife.

Signature

Learner

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-04-16

PM

Spirituality in a nutshell is like trying to wrap your head around how the heck that the inconceivable spark known as “soul” tries to the break the bounds and get back to its source.  In classical islamic sufism this spark is the actual matter or compositional element of God which He throw down to earth left to repent, grieve, lament weep and wail and purify itself from the impurities of “nafs” so that He embraces it once it returns back to Him.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

Isn’t spirituality a topic of tasawwuf? A term of it? I can’t understand how this word gets into Islam. Is there any discussion about spirituality in the divine book?

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Muneeb you have made an insightful comment! Let us delve into the Quran and probe whether Quran suggests such notion. I think we should instead use Quranic term Taqwa?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

As i have said before , the term “Spirituality” makes an image of our mind of something mysterious. . And then different sufis starys to tell it in a way our brother did.

[email protected] - 17 April 2011 06:09 AM

Spirituality in a nutshell is like trying to wrap your head around how the heck that the inconceivable spark known as “soul” tries to the break the bounds and get back to its source.  In classical Islamic sufism this spark is the actual matter or compositional element of God which He throw down to earth left to repent, grieve, lament weep and wail and purify itself from the impurities of “nafs” so that He embraces it once it returns back to Him.

I found this “spark” or “soul” as termed in the above statement highly Un-Quranic. Also the term “Islamic Sufism” is a myth b/c sufism is a parallel religion . . .

As far as the term taqwa is concerned. . We can go through it too. . but i think first we should clear our mind that what is spirituality? And how our members here see it.

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

I think that Spirituality is nothing but the message hidden in this world and the material things around us.

http://muneeb-ned.blogspot.com/2010/10/sprituality-in-things.html

Here’s my point of view in understanding the spirituality. I think this will clear my position on the term and it’s meanings.

Signature

Muneeb

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2011-02-08

PM

[email protected] - 17 April 2011 06:09 AM

Spirituality in a nutshell is like trying to wrap your head around how the heck that the inconceivable spark known as “soul” tries to the break the bounds and get back to its source.  In classical islamic sufism this spark is the actual matter or compositional element of God which He throw down to earth left to repent, grieve, lament weep and wail and purify itself from the impurities of “nafs” so that He embraces it once it returns back to Him.

For purification, Isn’t “Tazkiya” the right term?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

No doubt it is. . Don’t know from where this spirituality got in Islam :|

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Spirituality is not religion and is not even necessarily affiliated with religion.

The essence of spirituality is the search to know the true self, to discover the real nature of consciousness. This quest has been the foundation of all the great spiritual teachings, and the goal of all the great mystics.
“The aim is to discover the deeper sense of self and free oneself from many of the fears that plague mankind unnecessarily to discover a greater inner peace, an inner security that does not depend upon events or circumstances in the world . As a result become less self-centered, less needy of the other’s approval or recognition, less needy of collecting possessions and social status, and become happier, healthier and more loving people. In many spiritual teachings this is called “self-liberation”.
“Most spiritual teachings also maintain that when one comes to know the true nature of consciousness, one also comes to know God. If God is the essence of the whole of creation, then God is the essence of every creature, and every person. This is why the search to discover the nature of one’s own innermost essence is the search for God.”

“We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all.”
Kalu Rinpoche (Tibetan Lama, Buddhist Leader)

“All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

@sabaq

U quoted that “Most spiritual teachings also maintain that when one comes to know the true nature of consciousness, one also comes to know God. If God is the essence of the whole of creation, then God is the essence of every creature, and every person. This is why the search to discover the nature of one’s own innermost essence is the search for God.”

Isn’t Maarfat e Elahi , the term used for the knowing God?

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Maarfat e Elahi meaning ’ the cognizance or conception of God’, yes it is the same.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

then why use the term spirituality then?

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Spirituality does not recognize boundaries; A spiritualist to reach the ultimate stage can reject this world and forget his relations and responsibilities towards them and isolate himself or completely leave them and go out on a Quest till he has completed his journey of self discovery. Where as Islam does not permit any individual to ignore responsibilities or relatives, Islam encourages a balance in life.

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

An article which eloquently explains the view point well   http://www.khilafah.com/index.php/concepts/belief/5660-islam-and-spirituality-

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-08-21

PM

Spirituality is the pursuing of hearts in things. It is awareness to sensitivities and a want for meaning that is external the meaning of the quotidian.