Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Why do we offer animal sacrifice(qurbani)?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Why do we offer animal sacrifice(qurbani)?

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

I would love to read some views because whatever views I believed in myself and heard from my parents since childhood are shaken and I am desperately looking for answers.

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-07-26

PM

@ Sabaq:  Animal Sacrifice is one of the most primitive forms of Human Worship.  Just look back into the history of humans and you find nothing to sacrifice in their possessions but the animal which were the only commodity they had, the only thing to sacrifice.  This practice has remained as noble worship ritual among humans in varied form the worst of which is “blood sacrifice of a virgin”.  In Abrahamic faith this tradition of Animal Sacrifice had existed as a continuity of previous Prophets and from Ibrahim this came to Islam.  Without a doubt Animal Sacrifice has existed in every religion in one form or the other and Islam only restricted this sacrifice ritual to bleeding animals and declared every other form as “forbidden” and emphasized on the symbolic nature of this ritual assigning all the value and weight to the intentions of the worshiper.  Quran said, “It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah: it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right. (Al-Hajj: 37)”...

واللہ اعلم

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

The sacrifice given at Hajj I understand it is asked by God and it is Farz. I am talking about Qurbani done at Baqra Eid do we really need to continue that tradition ? the purpose has been lost for sometime now and now it is just an expensive ritual, the obscene amount of money spent is giving another message. Do you suggest we revive the spirit of the tradition? How do you see it in our modern day scenario ? Let me put up another question what are the kind of sacrifices the modern day Muslim should be ready for?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

Qurbani is a symbolic way to show that we have surrender ourselves to the will of God. We have no control over ourselves and we’ll do as He would ask us. How could this purpose be lost?

As for hajj, the Qurbani is a penalty for those who do hajj and umrah and together and is not a part o Hajj itself.

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

I probably didn’t phrase it correctly I should have said ” we have lost sight of the purpose” and it is a ritual for the rich, the middle class man cannot afford it.

“Qurbani is a symbolic way to show that we have surrender ourselves to the will of God. We have no control over ourselves and we’ll do as He would ask us”
My question based on on your statement ” How do you see it in our modern day scenario ? Let me put up another question what are the kind of sacrifices the modern day Muslim should be ready for?”

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-07-26

PM

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Thank you

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2011-02-08

PM

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

@sabaq

What do you mean by modern times? As we are talking about the particular animal sacrifice , what do you mean by asking what are the kind of sacrifices the modern day Muslim should be ready for?”

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Muneeb let me quote you “Qurbani is a symbolic way to show that we have surrender ourselves to the will of God. We have no control over ourselves and we’ll do as He would ask us.”

When i said modern times I meant now the present, there are no further revelations the message is complete, so your statement is referring to what God has already asked us so how do we fit it to our lives now? or how would you explain the importance of Qurbani to us muslims now as I posted earlier my belief in it is shaken and I feel it is only a ritual for the rich somehow I cannot connect it to our daily lives and the kind of sacrifices we should be ready for.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-15

PM

I have told you that it’s a symbol. A way to present ourselves to our God , just b/c he asked for it. It’s a symbolic way to surrender before God. This is the hikmah of sacrifice ritual in Islam.

As far as the believe on this ritual is concerned , then sunnah is the authentic source of this belief.

Signature

Muneeb

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Thank You Muneeb….. You are a good student.

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

A good student who has disappeared.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-09-05

PM

I have exactly the same question as @sabaq
Definitely the animal sacrifice was meant to be, well, a sacrifice
Something dear to you who you sacrifice in the name of Allah
But now the purpose seems to be lost and clouded.
People generally buy the animals max 6-7 days before the Eid, and certainly a dearness cant attach to the animal in these many days
On top of that, buying the goat/sheep has become an exercise to show off your wealth and status.
Certainly Qurbani wasn’t meant for this.

Do Muslims have any other option, like giving out charity instead of buying an animal they can’t afford?

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-07-28

PM

Qurbani, or Udhiyah it known in Arabic, is the word describes the sacrifice of an animal to Allah during the period of Eid ul Adha. On Eid UL Ada, which marks the completion of the annual Hajj pilgrimage, the Muslim world celebrates and honour the tradition of the Prophet Ibrahim (Alahi Salaam) by sacrificing an animal and distributing the meat to those in need.