Dr. Shehzad Saleem Profile & Entriesemail: email@example.com Contact Author
Born in 1966 Shehzad Saleem has been under the tutelage of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi since 1988 and is currently a Research Fellow and one of the Vice Presidents of Al-Mawrid. He has a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from UET Lahore, Pakistan and holds a PhD in the History of the Qur’an from the University of Wales, UK.
Special Area of Interest
He recently (2014) completed a fifteen year research work on the History of the Qur’an, a part of which constituted his doctoral thesis (the thesis portion is available at: http://www.al-mawrid.org/index.php/books/view/collection-of-the-quran-a-critical-and-historical-study-of-al-farahis-view). The work addresses some nagging questions related to the revelation, collection and transmission of the Qur’an. These questions include narratives found in our legacy on the alleged incompleteness of the Qur’an, scribal errors found in it, its variant readings, chronology of its compilation, order of the surahs, and manuscript studies.
1. Common Misconceptions about Islam
2. Playing God: Misreading a Divine Practice
3. Islam and Women: Misconceptions and Misperceptions
4. Essays on Character Building, Lessons on Character Building
5. Qur’an Workshops on Character Building (including a separate Teacher’s Guide)
6. Lessons on Character Building
7. Selections from the Qur’an
8. Selections from the Bible
9. Selections from the Hadith
He has also compiled a modular textbook on Qur’anic Studies, which was taught by him to graduate students (1999-2001). The textbook is available in course format at
www.studying-islam.org. It comprises course topics as: Revelation of the Qur’an, Theme of the Qur’an, History of the Qur’an, Arrangement of the Qur’an, Language of the Qur’an, Interpreting the Qur’an.
He has translated some works of Amin Ahsan Islahi (d. 1997) and Javed Ahmad Ghamidi into English. These include:
1. Volumes 6, 7, 8 and 9 of Tadabbur Qur’an
2. Mizan (Islam: A Comprehensive Introduction)
3. Al-Islam (Islam: A Concise Introduction)
4. Selected Essays of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi
5. Volumes 1 and 5 of Al-Bayan
His answers to various questions received about Islam can also be accessed at the Renaissance website at: http://monthly-renaissance.com/issue/writers.aspx?option=queries&id=1
He is the Founding Editor of the monthly research journal, Renaissance which was initiated in 1991. In 1999, its website www.monthly-renaissance.com was launched.
He launched the Studying Islam www.studying-islam.org website in 2003, which offers online courses on Islam. Through technical help, he has developed an online software (Qur’an for All) at the Studying Islam website to teach the translation of the Qur’an to those who can read the Arabic text but cannot comprehend its meaning.
He also set up websites about the life and works of the Qur’anic scholars Hamid Uddin Farahi (www.hamid-uddin-farahi.org) and Amin Ahsan Islahi (www.amin-ahsan-islahi.org) in 2010 and 2013 respectively
He has also built a text based website on the exegesis Tadabbur i Qur’an (www.tadabbur-i-quran.org) in 2013.
He also founded a website on the life and works of the biblical scholar Abdus Sattar Ghauri (www.abdus-sattar-ghauri.org) in 2014
He uses his personal facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=562019607) to write on personality development issues.
He is a guest speaker at various public forums. Some of the topics he regularly speaks on include:
1. Misconceptions about Women in Islam
2. Pardah and Gender Interaction
3. Non-Muslims and the Qur’an
4. Question on the Qur’an by Serious
5. Misconceptions about Islam
6. Muhammad (sws): The Misunderstood Prophet of Islam
7. Marriage and Married Life
8. Fast and Fasting
9. Basic Morality
10. Islam and Islamic Welfare State
11. Misconceptions about Divorce in Islam
12. Misconceptions regarding Jihad of the Companions of the Prophet (sws)
13 Imbalanced Religious Attitudes
He conducts activity-based Qur’anic Workshops for adults and sessions on Character Building and Personality Development for teenagers. Topics include:
1. Spending in the Way of God
2. Pride and Arrogance
3. Remembering God
4. Civic Sense
5. Kindness to Parents
8. Moral Courage
10. Showing Off
13. Sinful Speech
Some of his talks and lectures on or about Islam can be viewed at:
A facebook page, Dr Shehzad Saleem’s Video Talks (https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Shehzad-Saleems-Video-Talks-309627932402929/?ref=br_rs) also displays his talks